For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine
  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font


Financial Relief for Family Caregivers :
Knowing How to Find it
Page 3

Cure for Lymphoma Foundation
Provides grants to any person with lymphoma experiencing financial difficulty. To be eligible you must be an U.S. citizen. Grants are limited to the cost incurred for childcare, travel/transportation and related expenses to treatment or transplant, medical aids and devices (wheelchair, ramps, hospital bed, walker), education and support meeting or camps, cosmetic aids (wigs, eyelashes, scarf's) and hygienic products. Contact information: 215 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10016, 212-213-9595 or 800-CFL-6848, email:

The National Children's Cancer Society
Provides financial assistance to any child diagnosed with cancer on or before his/her 18th birthday. Assistance for medical care may include, bone marrow transplant, donor harvest, supplies, respite care, donor harvest, pharmaceuticals, home health care. Assistance for ancillary cost may include transportation, childcare, household expenses, meals, lodging, and insurance premiums. Assistance is not available for insurance co-pays and deductibles. Contact them at 800-5-FAMILY or 314-241-1600 and email at 

Cancer Care, Inc. 
Provides limited financial assistance nationally for pancreatic cancer, colorectal cancer, women with breast, ovarian, and cervical cancer. Local financial assistance includes help for people with all cancers in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and San Diego, California. Financial help is for transportation, radiation, chemotherapy, pain medications, home care, child care, and some screening and biopsies. Please be aware that CancerCare grants are not for basic living expenses such as rent, mortgages, utility payments and food.
Contact information: 275 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, 800-813-4673 or 800-813-HOPE, email at, and the web address is

Betaseron Foundation
Provides financial assistance for Multiple Sclerosis medications. Contact them at 800-948-5777.

Leukemia Research Foundation
Offers financial assistance, transportation to treatment centers, and blood transfusions.
Contact them at 800-955-4LSA or their web address at

American Organ Transplant Association (AOTA)
Provides financial assistance to transplant recipients and their families, including airfare and bus tickets, advice on fundraising and establishing trust funds.  Contact information: PO Box 277, Missouri City , TX  77459, 713-261-2682, and web address

Campaign for Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) 
Designed to assist eligible, low-income households in meeting the heating or cooling portion of their residential energy needs. LIHEAP dollars are distributed by local community action agencies, usually at the county level. The Salvation Army processes applications in many states. To find the phone number of your community action agency, call your state's energy assistance director. A listing can be found at, or contact the program directly at 202-783-5594 or 202-783-5588. You may also contact them through email at or at their web address, 

Chai Lifeline 
Provides financial assistance, housing, weekend retreats for the entire family living with a child with cancer or catastrophic illness, weekend retreats for bereaved families, holiday trips, insurance information as well as support to Jewish children who suffer from cancer and other life threatening illnesses. Contact information: 151 West 30th Street, New York, NY  10001, 212-465-1300 or 877-CHAI-LIFE, email at, and their web address is 

National Children's Cancer Society (NCCS)  
Provides financial and fundraising assistance, including costs related to medical treatment, such as travel and lodging. Contact them at: 1015 Locust, Suite 600, St. Louis, MO 63101, 800-532-6459, email at pfs@children/, and the web address is 

National Association for Terminally Ill 
Provides assistance to individuals with terminal diseases in obtaining financial aid.
Contact information: PO Box 368, Shelbyville, KY 40066-0368, or toll-free at 888-847-0390.  

First Hand Foundation
Provides financial assistance to children under 20 years of age worldwide. Patient doesn’t have to be a citizen. The request must be clinically relevant to the health of the child. There must be no other existing financial net to cover the requested expenses. The foundation does not provide funding for debt reduction or experimental treatments and medications. Contact them at 2800 Rockcreek Parkway, Kansas City, Missouri 64117, 816-201-1569 or 816-201-7569, email at, and the web address is 

Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund 
Provides financial assistance for the uninsured needs of families caring for terminally, critically, and chronically ill children. The fund has assisted with everything from rent to electric bills to burial expenses. Families in need of assistance should contact their social worker, case manager, visiting nurse, nurse practitioner or doctor at the medical establishment where their child is treated in order to have a healthcare professional address a letter to the foundation for help. The following are the states in which funds are available: PA, NJ, NY, DE, MD, VA and Washington D.C. Contact information: 602 S. Bethlehem Pike Bldg "D,” Box 556, Ambler, PA 19002, 215-643-0763, email address is, and the web address is 

Aside from financial services available on a national level, some states also have their own financial assistance programs for family caregivers. General Assistance is a program funded on the state level and is designed to provide cash assistance to low-income people who do not qualify for federally funded programs. Here are some other programs where caregivers may find financial relief, state-by-state:


Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Youtube Follow us on Pinterest Google Plus