By Peg Crandall, MA, CPC
Tips for Long Distance Caregivers:
What you can do to ease the pain of
- Let your loved one know you are still
there for him or her.
- Call frequently. Hold normal conversations.
Do not focus on the disease. Do talk about what
is happening with friends and family.
- Play their favorite music over the phone.
- Share sources of calmness that may ease
- Read aloud – poetry or stories they would
- E-mail jokes, funny stories, pieces of
relevant information, inspirational messages.
- Arrange an electronic chat room with
additional friends communicating.
- Mail surprise packages – musical CDs,
movies, books, crossword puzzles, easy to handle
- Send a bouquet of balloons. Have a
clown deliver the gift.
- Share fun memories the two of you have
Caregivers: Angels without Wings© by Peg Crandall
Peg Crandall is an
author, Caregiver Coach, Support Group Facilitator
and Speaker. You can reach Peg at