For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

CARENOTES | Past Carenotes | Let's Talk


Welcome to CareNotes. In this special section we will feature a reader's letter and provide an opportunity for an interactive exchange that will help find some answers and possible solutions to concerns. If you wish to respond to this letter, simple follow the link provided at the end of the letter and add your comments and thoughts to our CareNotes Board.

This Week's Carenote - 7/29/14


I moved in with my parents a year ago. My mom broke her leg, fractured her spine and needs a lot of help. I struggle with TBI myself and need help that does not cost anything. I am her caregiver and on SSDI from brain injury. I find the stress difficult so I am asking for information and real people to talk to about this. Help.


Caregivers Reply

Shared by: Nancy
Salt Lake City, UT

Kris - You may want to consider contacting your local Area Agency on Aging. To find this, go to and type in your zip code. There is a Caregiver Support Program at your AAA that you can apply for that will provide you up to $1500 over the course of one year tailored to your specific needs with your mother. This is not a program that is based on income but designed to introduce family caregivers to the variety of support services available in the community and to provide much-needed respite care. It is funded through the Older American's Act. I manage this program in my state and there is Caregiver Support Program funding in every state of the nation.

Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Youtube Follow us on Pinterest Google Plus