For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

CARENOTES | Past Carenotes | Let's Talk


Welcome to CareNotes. In this special section we will feature a reader's letter and provide an opportunity for an interactive exchange that will help find some answers and possible solutions to concerns. If you wish to respond to this letter, simple follow the link provided at the end of the letter and add your comments and thoughts to our CareNotes Board.

This Week's Carenote - 4/15/14


I am up against a huge hurdle and have a very important question I hope you can give me insight on.
My 91-year-old father has beginning to mid-dementia. Until two months ago, he lived in Florida. I had to fly there to bring him home to live with me. The only way to bring him here was to tell him that he was coming on "vacation."
My issue is the following. He did a reverse mortgage on his home, which means he must occupy it at all times. I read the fine print and he IS allowed one year of absentee time from the property for extended visits. However, the mortgage company sent him a notice here wanting to know if he is residing at his current dwelling or not. Should I call them and tell them he is here for a visit? I have a Power of Attorney.
Thank you for any suggestions.


Caregivers Reply

Shared by: Misty
Fort Wayne, IN

I would refer you to an "elder law" attorney. This is truly the best resource to protect him in the long run. I hope this helps.

Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Youtube Follow us on Pinterest Google Plus