For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

CARENOTES | Past Carenotes | Let's Talk


Welcome to CareNotes. In this special section we will feature a reader's letter and provide an opportunity for an interactive exchange that will help find some answers and possible solutions to concerns. If you wish to respond to this letter, simple follow the link provided at the end of the letter and add your comments and thoughts to our CareNotes Board.

This Week's Carenote - 06/26/12

My gram is in need of help. It is a long drawn out situation. Short stack is her grandson moved into her home two years ago, created a lease while she was in a therapy situation, and had his blind mother sign it. Gram tried to evict him and lost in court. She is 91 years young and would like only to be in her home and with her income. Her grandson pays nothing (he wrote the lease) and has now moved his girlfriend and her children into the house. He threw out some priceless antique furniture that belonged to Gram (she does not know about this). Additionally, he has his own home and rents it out. Please, is there someone out there that can help?

Reply to Letter  |  View Comments  |  Past Carenotes |   

Add Your Comments  


View Comments

Name: tj
Location: wv
Date: 06/26/2012
Time: 11:04 AM


contact your local area agency on aging/department on aging or your local legal aid or even the county prosecutor, what the grandson is doing/has done is abuse and exploitation and it is wrong. Your grams needs to live the remainder of her life happy and in her own home. Good luck, I hope you can help get this sorted out.

Name: Carolyn
Location: Pennsylvania
Date: 06/26/2012
Time: 09:22 AM


You should make a call to the local Area Agency on Aging and ask to speak to the Protective Services Care Manager - this sounds like elder exploitation

Name: LeAnn
Location: Wyoming
Date: 06/26/2012
Time: 08:23 AM


This is clearly elder exploitation under adult protective services of the local Department of Social/Family Services. Get the local APS involved as soon as possible. If your grandmother has no cognitive disorder she should be able to speak her wishes and tell her story. What idiot judge would allow this to happen????

Name: Roxanna
Location: Champaign, IL
Date: 06/26/2012
Time: 07:01 AM


What you discribed is ELDER ABUSE, FINANCIAL EXPLOITATION! Get a different attorney, include Elder Abuse services. He needs to be held accountable. If he were a stranger he would be considered a crimminal just because he is related does not make him any less.

Location: wlmington, nc
Date: 06/26/2012
Time: 05:37 AM


I volunteer for my areas Elder Abuse Prevention Network and I applaud you in your courage in coming forward and seeking assistance. The situation you have described is a form of financial exploitation, in other words elder abuse. Unfortunately your gram is part of a growing population of neglected, exploited and abused older adults. There is something you can do right now to help her. You can call her local Adult Protective Services which is part of the Department of Social Services, and make a completely confidential report. Adult Protective Services is the first line of attack. They will go out and assess the situation. Caseworkers are not allowed to reveal who made the initial report to them so you are fully protected. Call 1-800-677-1116 to find her office for Adult Protective Services or go to

Name: Lisa
Location: Newport News
Date: 06/26/2012
Time: 05:28 AM


This sounds like a form of elder abuse, and sadly this is more common that it should be. Contact your local Agency on Aging who will either help you themselves, or suggest someone who can. You may also want to contact an elder law attorney - many of which offer free initial consulations. Good luck.



Join our Group or become
Fan below

Caregiver on Facebook

   Follow us on Twitter

You TubeFearless Caregiver Channel