For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

CARENOTES | Past Carenotes | Let's Talk


Welcome to CareNotes. In this special section we will feature a reader's letter and provide an opportunity for an interactive exchange that will help find some answers and possible solutions to concerns. If you wish to respond to this letter, simple follow the link provided at the end of the letter and add your comments and thoughts to our CareNotes Board.

This Week's Carenote - 06/02/11
I have a 20-year-old daughter who still lives with me; she has cerebral palsy and other health problems.  I have to take care of her 24/7 and am unable to work. She receives SSI and Medicaid  This is the only income we have now. Someone told me I could get a caregiver's check each month.  Could you tell me how to apply? I have tried  calling  Social Security, DSS and the Health Department, each sending me to the other.  It's  offered in my state (South Carolina) because my aunt's sister receives it for her brother who has Down syndrome. Please help me if you have any information.

Reply to Letter  |  View Comments  |  Past Carenotes |   

Add Your Comments  


View Comments

Name: Terry Kay
Location: Palm Springs, California
Date: 06/04/2011
Time: 01:05 PM


In California that service is provided through the County. You may try your county offices for Adult Protection and they can refer you to the proper agency.

Name: donna
Location: pa
Date: 06/03/2011
Time: 11:53 PM


I found the organizations that attend to your daughters disability will find you the help you are seeking. My 29 year old son has advanced progressive MS and the MS Society walked me through things I never knew were available to help our son..including financial.

Name: Carolyn Wheeler, LSW, CMC
Location: Springdale Arkansas
Date: 06/03/2011
Time: 06:53 AM


In Arkansas this type of income is wrapped up in our home and community based program. There are rules about what family members can be paid to be caregivers through the program but it is accessed when a person is eligible to receive in-home care paid for by Medicaid. It is called several different names in different states. Ours is through a program called Independent Choices which allows the person receiving care or that person's representative to receive cash to pay a caregiver of the person's choice. We also have another program that is called Alternatives for younger persons that also allows the person eligible to receive in-home care through Medicaid to choose who will provide the care. I hope this information helps you find the program in your state to help you supplement the income you live on.

Name: Donny Jordy
Location: Kingsport, tn
Date: 06/02/2011
Time: 09:24 PM


I live in Tennessee and I keep hearing the same thing that I can get caretakers pay for taking care of my wife and my daughter. My wife has MS, Lupus, fybromyalgia, and has been recently diagnosed with stomach cancer and my daughter has cystic frybrosis and I am at home taking care of them and only living on her social secruity. So if anyone can answer our questions of help please do.

Name: Robbin Miller
Location: Massachusetts
Date: 06/02/2011
Time: 09:12 AM


There are two possible ways for you to get paid: 1) If your state has a Personal Care program that is funded by your state medicaid program, you may be able to qualify for it and then get paid as the PCA for your daugther. 2) If your state has an adult fostercare program and you are her caregiver and she is on Medicaid, you may be able to get paid for it. However, you can not be receiving SSI for yourself. Robbin Miller, LMHC

Name: Barbara
Location: Johnstown NY
Date: 06/02/2011
Time: 07:17 AM


I don't know the answer but why don't you ask your aunt's sister how she got it?? good luck

Name: Jody Carstensen
Location: Ohio
Date: 06/02/2011
Time: 06:18 AM


In the state of Ohio, parents and spouses are not eligible to be paid caregivers through Medicaid; only other friends or family members who are also not guardians, power of attorneys, or authorized representatives would be eligible. Check with your Board of Developmental Disabilities for your state's rules.



Join our Group or become
Fan below

Caregiver on Facebook

   Follow us on Twitter

You TubeFearless Caregiver Channel