For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

CARENOTES | Past Carenotes | Discussion Forum | Let's Talk


Welcome to CareNotes. In this special section we will feature a reader's letter and provide an opportunity for an interactive exchange that will help find some answers and possible solutions to concerns. If you wish to respond to this letter, simple follow the link provided at the end of the letter and add your comments and thoughts to our CareNotes Board.

This Week's Carenote - 1/6/10


I am trying to gather information for my friend and her husband, who was recently (August 09) paralyzed in an accident during their one year anniversary. She is now his primary health care provider, their insurance has almost ran out, and will no longer cover his physical therapy. Their house is going into foreclosure, and it's slowly turning into a dire situation. My question is, are there any benefits that she can recieve as his primary health care provider as they cannot afford a nurse and she cannot go back to work?

We are in California and she is 25 years old.

Thank you - any information will help,

Reply to Letter  |  View Comments  |   Past Carenotes |  & Discussion Forum

View Comments

Name: Kate Somsel-Longmore
Location: New Castle, Colorado
Date: 01/07/2010
Time: 06:00 AM


Hi- A suggestion would be to contact your local human services (social services) agency. Every state has a public assistance program that helps people with disabilities. It's Medicaid here in Colorado, and I believe it's called Medi-cal in your state. Funding and services can be provided to help with care-giving, durable equipment, medication, therapies, etc. As I said, every state is different as to how much they will provide and how you qualify. Generally, it's based on income and degree of disability. People who have come to our state from Ca have had varied opinions. But it is definitely worth a try. I hope this helps.

Name: ms
Location: socorro nm
Date: 01/07/2010
Time: 06:05 AM


Every state should have a form of Amerigroup, Evercare personal care option with requirements for Medicaid through your local human services agency. Primary care physician feels out a medical assessment form and faxes it to the Medicaid provider for you state. Ours is currently Molina Medicaid. The client is then put on a waiting list to be paid as a consumer delegated or consumer directed paid caregiver through a local agency. Your aging and long term services agency for the state should have a website and local agencies in each county and at the state level.

Name: Michele
Location: Superior, WI
Date: 01/07/2010
Time: 11:21 AM


Please contact your local Independent Living Center for advocasy and benefits counseling.

Name: Laura George
Location: Georgia
Date: 01/07/2010
Time: 12:12 PM


To the person gathering info for recently paralyzed friend & spouse (8/09)...I have even more resources then what I am listing here so don't feel afraid to contact me at National Spinal Cord Injury Association (NSCIA) - Bill Fertig United Spinal Association (USA) Center for Independent Living aka Independent Living Center Support Groups at local REhab Centers Shepherd Center for Paralysis (Chris Reeves - It maybe Georgia...but they have contacts in CA) Then... He needs to file for SS (if he hasn't already), and then if they have children (or she was pregnant) she can file for a stipend. National Transplant Assistance Fund ( If his injury was the result of employment then via Workman's Comp there could be an entitlement. If there was Long Term Disability...there might be funds there. If he has qualified for SS then he should be able to get Medicare/caid and get it paid by them. ...oh my the list goes on... If I had to guess...she has suddenly become his nurse (with no training) and thus the reason she cannot go back to work. She is not alone!!!! When my husband acquired his paralysis I could not return to work for similar reasons and I was pregnant. So rule #1: To the wife take care of your are no good to your spouse if your sick. Rule #2: Become a loud advocate for your spouse. Rule #3: If the other items in life don't help positively Rules 1 or 2 ...then set them aside. I hope this helps! Many blessings & hugs!


Unfortunately I have been unable to reply to the current CareNotes. I believe it's a problem with my computer. Would you please pass along the website as it may provide some possible help for their mortgage problem and buy them some time. I wish I had more to offer but this is the only thing I've found to provide grants to people with unexpected situations. Possibly it might provide assistance to someone else as well. I appreciate your assistance in passing this along.


Terry Sheeley




Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Youtube Follow us on Pinterest Google Plus