For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

CARENOTES / Past Carenotes / Discussion Forum / Let's Talk


Welcome to CareNotes. In this special section we will feature a reader's letter and provide an opportunity for an interactive exchange that will help find some answers and possible solutions to concerns. If you wish to respond to this letter, simple follow the link provided at the end of the letter and add your comments and thoughts to our CareNotes Board.

This Week's Carenote - 03/13/09

I am the caregiver for my brother. He will soon be 69 and he has Medicare and insurance from his retirement, but neither will pay anything toward the cost of incontinence supplies. He is not eligible for Medicaid. After we pay bills and buy food , we have no money for anything else. He has diabetes, dementia, and he has had two strokes. Now he has developed this severe incontinence problem of the kidneys and the bowels. It is extremely difficult to keep him clean . If there are any resources available that will help fund these products, I would certainly appreciate the information. 

Thank you.

Reply to Letter  |  View Comments  |   Past Carenotes |   Discussion Forum

View Comments

Date: 03/13/2009
Time: 08:45 AM


Have you applied for Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)if you were eligible for this program that might free up some resources for other needs. Some agencies may have some supplies to donate such as Senior Centers of Office for Aging.

Name: Michelle
Location: Washington DC
Date: 03/16/2009
Time: 08:39 AM


I would first find out if there are any caregiver support programs (for you), and then if they have a "discretionary fund" or a supply grant. I would also save receipts for all his supplies and care and see if he might be eligible for a Medicaid "spenddown", or if his physical level of care and his income would make him eligible (Some times called Nursing home eligible) for your states "Medicaid Waiver", because the income levels are much higher than regular Medicaid.

Name: Kara
Location: Pittsburgh
Date: 03/20/2009
Time: 11:38 AM


Call your local Area Agency on Aging. They have a program called Family Caregiver Support Program (FCSP) and you can get reimbursed for incontinence supplies, nutritional supplements, over-the-counter medications, personal care, homemaking, and respite services purchased for your brother. The Area Agency on Aging also offers other programs your brother might qualify for--Community LIFE, PDA WAIVER, etc.

Name: Heather
Location: GA
Date: 03/31/2009
Time: 11:40 AM


Check out the Caregiver's Marketplace, "The Caregivers Marketplace™ is the nation's first cash back program for anyone who gives, gets or needs care. You can receive cash back on eligible products that are not typically covered by insurance or Medicare – no matter where you buy them. Our program is free and your information is always kept confidential."


Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Youtube Follow us on Pinterest Google Plus