For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

CARENOTES / Past Carenotes / Discussion Forum / Let's Talk


Welcome to CareNotes. In this special section we will feature a reader's letter and provide an opportunity for an interactive exchange that will help find some answers and possible solutions to concerns. If you wish to respond to this letter, simple follow the link provided at the end of the letter and add your comments and thoughts to our CareNotes Board.

This Week's Carenote - 01/29/09
I live in Tooele, Utah and recently my adult brother came to live with me.  He had a traumatic brain injury in fall of 2003.  With all of the "mishaps" that has happened to him, I have not only taken a role of caretaker, but also as an advocate.  Is there any financial relief in my state?  Or do you know of any agency where I could seek help. 

Thank you for your prompt attention.

Reply to Letter  |  View Comments  |   Past Carenotes |   Discussion Forum

View Comments

Name: stacie
Location: wichita falls tx
Date: 01/29/2009
Time: 07:28 AM


I have not found any type of monetary assistance for family caregiving. I, also, had been thrown into care and advocate..advocate being the most difficult and stress producing part..for my mother who was 'labeled'(due to age) Alzheimer's and dementia following a severe TBI attack and beating. Now, near 2 yrs of caregiving, the Drs just this month looked at her after 3 minute evaluation and realized she is experiencing 'status epilepticus  : constant onset of multiple area seizures. After all this time of blatantly ignoring her symptoms and my informing of her symptoms, she is now too far gone from the seizure damage and all I can do is try to keep her as comfortable as possible since she is now, all too slowly, receiving the accurate but not yet full med attention. I left a position as Hospital Dept Director(am single so I AM my income), had to finally cash in my retirement, and am not able to contribute to my OWN SS acct which will affect MY SS retirement. We definitely need some area of support or relief but I have found NOTHING. You can try being court appointed advocate/caregiver but the hoops are VERY stressful and u are ALWAYS under a magnifying glass. Dealing with and caring for a TBI is a major stress field in and of itself. Good luck and please inform if anyone knows of any resources. GOD BLESS and hang in there.

Name: Llndy
Location: Antigo
Date: 01/29/2009
Time: 11:14 AM


Depending on your brothers age, if he is over 60, contact your Department/Commission on Aging they may be of assistance. Also your County Social Services may be of help in providing long-term care to avoid having to place him in a facility. If Stacy in Wichita Falls, TX. reads this, there is grant money made available through the Older Americans Act, that provides assistance to caregivers for Alzheimer's patients. Contact your Area on Aging or Department/Commission on Aging. The grant is known as the Alzheimer's Family and Caregiver Support Program (AFCSP). There is also another grant through the National Family Caregiver Support Program(NFCSP)that you might apply for. Good Luck.




Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Youtube Follow us on Pinterest Google Plus