For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

CARENOTES / Past Carenotes / Discussion Forum


Welcome to CareNotes. In this special section we will feature a reader's letter and provide an opportunity for an interactive exchange that will help find some answers and possible solutions to concerns. If you wish to respond to this letter, simple follow the link provided at the end of the letter and add your comments and thoughts to our CareNotes Board.

This Week's Carenote - 07/18/08

I am the caregiver of someone with "Alzheimer's".  I have a full-time job, but still am not able to meet all of our financial obligations, or have work done to our home in order to make it more suitable down the line for my mother.  I've tried working part-time, but that doesn't work because my mom needs attending to more often now.

Several people have mentioned to me about receiving financial assistance through the government in the form of grants.  I understand that these grants can be as low as $1,000.00, and as high as $5,000.00 or more,  and that they do not have to be paid back.  Can you provide me with more info on this source, or direct me to a place to start researching? 

Thank you for your time.

Reply to Letter  |  View Comments  |   Past Carenotes |   Discussion Forum

View Comments

Name: KG
Location: Maine
Date: 07/18/2008
Time: 06:32 AM


Often times local Agencies on Aging have respite funds available for caregivers. There are limited funds and there is often a wait list, but it is worth looking into as it can provide some relief to the caregiver.

Name: Jim
Location: Maryland
Date: 07/18/2008
Time: 08:55 AM


There is a book titled "The 36 hour day" and it has been much help to me for knowing what is coming as far as the changes in the patient and the services the Alzheimer's Association provides or can inform you about. It has been one of the best books I have purchased and has provided many references to assistance options and there are grants available for modifying your home, etc. There will come a time when you can no longer care for the person you are now caring for and this book is a reference and guide composed of many many years of experience with this and other dementia related illnesses. You have much to learn as I am sure you know already. I reference it often even though my wife is in a nursing home now. When your patient goes into a nursing home you have a whole new set of responsibilities and issues to deal with. But you can finally get some sleep. Without sleep your health will fail before the patient’s. Best, Jim in Maryland

Name: Kathy
Location: New York
Date: 07/18/2008
Time: 12:31 PM


I live on Long Island and we have a county pamphlet for Seniors. It tells what is available in the community, for information on getting help call your local Department on Aging. You can also check with Medicare. They give help with prescription drug payments, and information. There are senior rates for everything from shopping to house repairs to phone bills, heat, and more. Call your providers. You may even be able to get her on Medicaid. They will give you up to ten hours of home companions for free. And much more. Look in foreign newspapers at the stand. We have the Irish Echo, and the Italian Progresso. There are ads in them for people willing to work in your home - you can usually pick the number of hours and times of day . They are very inexpensive. You can also get help at any church or place of worship. Look for the Outreach office. My best suggestion would be to join an Alzheimer's support group in your community. I did. They have all the information and feedback. Plus you have soul mates, and it is free. We all want to keep our loved ones at home for as long as possible. But, when the time comes that we can no longer keep them well cared for and safe, we must find placement. There are very nice nursing homes and assisted living facilities. You can visit whenever you want and they can go home with you for as long as you like before you return them. If you choose this one day, make sure the place is affiliated with Hospice. An absolute Godsent at end of life. Join a group. You really have many choices, you are not alone. Good Luck

Name: Debra
Location: Texas
Date: 07/18/2008
Time: 12:46 PM


The Alzheimer Foundation of America(AFA) has grants, dependent on income for respite. AFA's Family Respite Care Grant AFA’s Family Respite Care Grant helps alleviate the cost of respite care for families caring for loved ones with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia. Funds may be used for in-home care, adult day programs or other types of respite. Individuals may only apply for this grant through one of AFA’s participating nonprofit member organizations, and AFA will only accept applications mailed from that member organization’s office. Applicants must meet specific requirements. This grant is offered in the spring and fall of each year; for consideration, applications must be postmarked by: Spring cycle – May 1 Fall cycle – November 1

Date: 07/19/2008
Time: 08:04 PM


It sounds like with your time limits and worry, you could benefit from hiring a CARE MANAGER. It will cost you less in the long run because a good care manager knows what social services are good, available and how to get your loved one enrolled. You could call your county court house and speak to someone who assigns guardianships or call your nearest hospital's Discharge Planner or your Area Agency On Aging for recommendations.

Name: Sandy White
Location: Wellington, Florida
Date: 07/19/2008
Time: 08:13 PM


Sounds like you could benefit from hiring a CARE MANAGER so you will have enough time for your job. A good care manager is cost effective in the long run because they know which services are good, available, and how to qualify for them. They can take care of the leg work and paper work and arrange interviews and evaluations. They know prices and who has openings. Call the county court house and ask for recommendations from the people in charge guardianships, call your nearest hospital and speak with the DISCHARGE PLANNER, and call your county's Area Agency on Aging. Go online and research what is their national professional organization, do they test and certify their members and how to reach ones closest to you.

Name: sandy
Location: 16947
Date: 07/20/2008
Time: 10:38 AM


Try looking n the Computer under or give them a call I know that they do work on the patients house and. See if they can work things out with you, you have to be tough and nice at the same time.

Name: Chris
Location: Toledo Ohio
Date: 07/21/2008
Time: 09:40 AM


I would suggest contacting your local Area Office on Aging and ask to talk with the Caregiver Support Program contact. They should be able to direct you to the Federally-funded program that pays directly to caregivers for expenses related to care for their parent. Good luck.

Name: Shari
Location: Pennsylvania
Date: 07/21/2008
Time: 09:44 AM


Check with your local township/county about any agencies dealing with Housing Partnerships. We did get grant $$$ years ago for modifications to our bathroom and had an elevator installed. It was a timeless ordeal but well worth it. We went through our County Housing Partnership. Good luck!



Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Youtube Follow us on Pinterest Google Plus