For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

CARENOTES / Past Carenotes / Discussion Forum


Welcome to CareNotes. In this special section we will feature a reader's letter and provide an opportunity for an interactive exchange that will help find some answers and possible solutions to concerns. If you wish to respond to this letter, simple follow the link provided at the end of the letter and add your comments and thoughts to our CareNotes Board.

This Week's Carenote - 06/06/08

My husband's parents live with us in our home. My mother-in-law has lung cancer which now has travelled to her brain.  My father-in-law has arthritis and bladder problems. I am interested in becoming their “Full Time” caregiver. They are on the Arizona medical assistance program. I am wondering if there is any way to get certified as their caregiver?

Please advise.


Reply to Letter  |  View Comments  | Past Carenotes |   Discussion Forum

View Comments

Name: Jen
Location: Washington
Date: 06/06/2008
Time: 09:38 AM


I am full time caregiver for my 89 year old mother in her home. Our state does pay for a family member caregiver. After an assessment by the caseworker the number of paid hours per month is determined. The state also provides on going training and demands continuing education to continue in program. I checked online and your state also has such a program. Check with the Arizona medical assistance program for information. Your caseworker can help you. Also your local senior services should have information. There is so much on the internet for caregivers especially in your state. Best wishes to you and your parents. I will be praying for you all.

Date: 06/06/2008
Time: 10:34 AM


yes...several BUT the best is in Tucson. DIRECT CAREGIVER ASSO. a NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION the PHONE # 520- 325-4870 in the Goodwill bldg at 1940 E. Silverlake Rd #402 TUCSON, ARIZONA 85713. KATHLEEN

Name: Sue
Location: California
Date: 06/06/2008
Time: 10:39 AM


The Arizona Department of Education has Caregiving classes which would earn a certification. I saw one online located in Mesa. Not sure where you live. Looks like it's about 8 hours a week for 6 weeks. Do you have to be certified to be their "full time" caregiver? Will the AZ medical assistance program pay you to care for them only if you are certified? I think the certification is a good idea, not only for them, but for you. Best wishes to you and your family.

Name: Dianne
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Date: 06/06/2008
Time: 02:03 PM


Contact the Area Agency on Aging and explain what you need. ALTCS (Arizona Long Term Care System) has a caregiver program where they will actually give you a stipend for caring for your parents-in-law. Good luck!!!

Name: gracie tillman
Location: lakewood colorado
Date: 07/30/2008
Time: 12:52 PM


i would like to become a caregiver but i dont know how to go about it. gracie


Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Youtube Follow us on Pinterest Google Plus