ARTICLES / Holiday / Healthy
Holiday Recipe /
1. Clean, core and cut apples into chunks. DO NOT PEAL!
2. Rinse cranberries, picking out the bad ones.
3. Combine apples, cranberries and raisins in medium
4. Break the cinnamon sticks in two and push into the
5. Pour the water over the top.
6. Cook over medium-low heat, uncovered, at least 30
minutes until the apples are cooked down to sauce and
the cranberries pop. Stir occasionally. (It will be
7. Serve warm or chilled with nonfat vanilla yogurt.
This is a naturally sweet combination because of the
raisins. For sweeter sauce use Rome or Jonathan apples.
(Red Delicious apples are not good cooking apples). For
tart sauce, use Macintosh or Granny Smith apples. A
combination creates a more complex flavor. Rome and
Macintosh are my favorites.
Can be stored up to 2 weeks in refrigerator; longer in
freezer. As fresh cranberries are only available in
November and December, buy extra bags and freeze them
for Cran-Apple- Raisin Sauce for the 4th of July!
Nutrition Analysis per Serving:
Calories: 115; Fat (g): 0.5; Cholesterol (mg): O;
Protein (g): 1.4; Carbohydrate (g): 28; Fiber (g): 5.