For About and By Caregivers

Subscribe to our bi-monthly publication Today's Caregiver magazine

  + Larger Font | - Smaller Font

Share This Article

Convincing a Loved One to Go to a Nursing Home

By Marie Marley

(Page 3 of 3)

“If all else fails and you don’t have power of attorney,” says Hammond, “you may face costly and potentially embarrassing court action in order to be appointed the person’s guardian or conservator. You can then make all decisions for them about where they will live.”

When you must take a demented person against their will and/or go to court to get guardianship, however, consult a local elder law attorney for advice because laws vary from state to state. You can call your local bar association to get a referral.


Marie Marley had seven years of experience caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease. She is a regular blogger on the Huffington Post and the Alzheimer’s Reading Room, where she publishes articles on caregiving.  She is also the author of Come Back Early Today: A Memoir of Love, Alzheimer’s and Joy, which recounts her caregiving experience.  Visit her at


1 2 3

Printable Version Printable Version



Related Articles

The Decision

Jewels and Treasures

Keeping Your Balance


Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Youtube Follow us on Pinterest Google Plus